US Biotech deals this year nearly double the value seen in the whole of 2012: US$ 26.4bn-worth of deals have increased 193.3% from US$ 9bn in 2012.
Onyx Pharmaceuticals acquired by Amgen for US$ 9bn
• It is the fifth largest US-biotech deal on Mergermarket record (since 2001)
• It is the eleventh largest deal for the US this year.
Biotech Deals See Two months in 2013 above US$9bn – a Mergermarket record
• The last time any month saw deals higher than US$9bn was in October 2010
• In 2012, there were just two months in which deals were above US$ 2bn.
• Pre-crisis, there were two months with deals valued above US$ 4bn in 2005
We are almost through Q3 and Biotech deals are almost three times the value in 2012
• Q3 Biotech deals are valued at US$ 9.5bn so far; this is up 227.6% compared to the entire Q3 2012 (US$ 2.9bn)
• This year also sees 9 deals to date versus 10 in the whole of Q3 2012
Biotech makes a sharp recovery in Q2 with 10 times the value of Q1
• From the US$ 843m in Q1, Biotech was up to US$ 16bn in Q2
Pharma, Medical & Biotech sector sees a 26.5% increase in value compared to last year
• Deals valued at US$ 71.1bn so far in 2013 compared to US$ 56.2bn in 2012
These findings come from the Americas Deal Drivers report, published by Mergermarket, in association with Merrill DataSite. It provides an extensive analysis of M&A activity in the Americas region, including in-depth studies of sector-specific activity, complete with league tables.
To view the full report, please click here.
Read Mergermarket's MONTHLY M&A INSIDER REPORT
Presented courtesy of: Mergermarket, M&A Intelligence Partner of the M&A Leadership Council, mergermarket.com