Already an Active Candidate?Login
The Standard in M&A Certification
Since its inception in 2016 as the corporate M&A sector’s first-ever professional development certificate program, CMAS® has steadily grown over the years to be the global standard of M&A distinction. Becoming a Certified M&A Specialist® helps you showcase your M&A competencies and display your commitment to being an effective leader for growth by acquisitions.
The CMAS® Program is designed especially for officers and company leaders who want to learn and master the fundamentals and best practices within the M&A life cycle from real experts in M&A leadership — experienced practitioners and luminaries in the field.
The path to becoming a Certified M&A Specialist® combines flexible elective courses that let you focus on the subject areas of most value to you, the submission of your own field experiences, and a foundational exam.
The Benefits of Becoming a Certified M&A Specialist®
Recognition as a CMAS® documents your M&A education and experiences as you seek greater responsibility within your company or should you pursue future career changes.
Awarded by the recognized authority on exemplary M&A leadership, and sanctioned by the Board of M&A Standards, your stature as an M&A Specialist helps you develop your corporate M&A competencies.
The M&A Leadership Council can help you create a schedule to complete your CMAS®. Click here for the training calendar to select the curriculum and activities that meet your needs and fit your schedule.
How it Works - The Three E's
STEP 1: EDUCATION - Complete Your Course Work
- Candidates begin their course of study by attending the various M&A Leadership Council training courses; these are sanctioned by the Board of M&A Standards
- Credits are awarded for each hour of attendance at these programs
- See the full calendar of training programs
STEP 2: EXPERIENCE - Submit Your M&A Experience
- Candidates build on the knowledge and insights gained from "The Art of M&A®" courses
- The documentation of real-world experience confirms a candidate’s qualification for certification; at least one Experience Submission Form will be completed by the candidate and evaluated by the M&A Leadership Council
- Credits awarded will range from 25 to 100 per Initiative; your submission(s) will be evaluated on deal size and type/complexity; duration of your experience in your role; how instrumental you were to the success of the deal; any innovations contributed and/or new learnings that were gleaned as a result of the experience
STEP 3: EXAM - Pass the Fundamentals Exam
- Once a minimum of 200 credits have been accumulated through education and experience, a candidate is eligible to take an online exam
- Information in the exam is based on the contents of the M&A Library provided to all active candidates
- The exam is a rigorous test of 60 questions, rooted in the fundamentals of M&A Strategy, Due Diligence and Integration
Sample Paths to Certification
|Sample Path #1||Sample Path #2||Sample Path #3|
|The Art of M&A® for Integration Leaders / In-Person||70||The Art of M&A® for HR Leaders / In-Person||70||The Art of M&A® for Integration Leaders / Live-Online||42|
|The Art of M&A® for Due Diligence Leaders / In-Person||70||The Art of M&A® for Integration Leaders / Live-Online||42||The Art of M&A® for Due Diligence Leaders / Live-Online||42|
|Experience Form #1||50||Experience Form #1||50||The Art of M&A® for HR Leaders / Live-Online||42|
|Experience Form #2||25||Experience Form #2||25||Experience Form #1||50|
|Experience Form #3||25||Experience Form #2||25|
|TOTAL CREDITS||215||TOTAL CREDITS||212||TOTAL CREDITS||201|
When You Become a Certified M&A Specialist (CMAS),
the Council Will:
- Provide a beautiful frameable certificate of completion to you by mail
- Post an announcement to the M&A Leadership Council’s LinkedIn page to share the news
- Provide you with a CMAS® email signature badge